Spam or Virus mails from Redhat ?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Jul 16 14:05:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 03:03, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This week I have been receiving numerous mails from ***@[***]redhat.com
> all 174 or 173 KB and with chinese looking junk characters in the body and
> either a zip or pif attachment. I haven't clicked on the attachemnt though
> I presume these cannot run on my Fedora box.
>
> I also receive similar mails from various other sites as well all similar
> in body and attachment. Where could this be coming from ?
>
> Does anybody know of a mail-client which can be taught not to download
> suspicious looking mails ?
>
> Parameshwara Bhat

1.  They are not coming from this list.  They are likely spoofed
addresses, and from the content I would hazard to guess they are being
sent by one of the trojan/worm/viruses on a windows platform.

2. You can install and run something like clamav or equivalent to filter
out the viruses before they get to your mailbox.

3. you can also run spamassassin to get rid of spam before it fills your
mailbox.

I do not have the details for actually setting these up, but they are
available and as I understand it easy to configure and use.