yum flavors vs/ fc1, fc2, fc3...infinity

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 17:03:15 UTC 2004

Gordon Keehn said:
> Somebody wrote:
>

>> Again, I disagree.  Having installed FC2 test 2 through the final
>> release there were a number of improvements.  The end result wasn't
>> perfect, but it never will be.  There were also a large number of
>> changes in FC2 vs. FC1.  I highly doubt this will always be the case
>> (for example, FC3 doesn't appear to have anything drastically
>> different).
>>

> Then maybe FC 3 should be called FC 2.1.  I've always been more
> comfortable with dot-1 releases anyhow.

How does calling it FC 3 vs FC 2.1 change anything?  Version numbers are just a convenient way to refer the group of packages.  I saw the same mentality when RHL 9 was announce when everyone assumed it would be RH 8.1.  Suddenly a person that thought RH 8.1 was going to be wonderful said RHL 9 would not be.

It's going to be the third release of Fedora Core, so Fedora Core 3 is appropriate.

--
William Hooper