grub with fc2

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Jul 16 17:21:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 06:41, David Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:39:55PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 10:17, Doug Maurer wrote:
> > > I've noticed since FC2 and now fc3 test1, that when I run up2date and it
> > > has a new kernel that after rebooting the machine it still defaults to
> > > the original installed kernel. Its doing it on two machines I have FC2
> > > and FC3test1 on. Anyone else experience this, know of a fix?
> > >

> > Others told you to manually edit grub.conf.
> >
> > If you use yum instead of up2date it will automatically make the new
> > kernel the default.
> >
> > Your choice of which you prefer.
> >

> I got the same answer when I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago.
> But if yum does the right thing, and up2date did the right thing in FC1,
> might the up2date behaviour in FC2 qualify as a bug?
>
> I think it is very confusing this way, and potentially dangerous; people
> may believe they are running the latest kernels when they are not.
>
> David

I am not in a position to test this fully....

On my RHEL 3 ES system, my manual running of up2date is definitely
updating the grub.conf to make the new kernel the default one.

So why then is Fedora Core's up2date not.....

I did have access to the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date files on both
systems and am noticing an extra line in the one on the RHEL 3 system.
It is: noBootLoader=0

Unfortunately I cannot test to see if the addition of this one line
might adjust FC2 to (let me say this delicately) "properly update" the
default= line in grub.conf to point to the new kernel.

Anyone have an idea?

--Rob