modprobe: Can't open dependencies file

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 20:31:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:57, Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:03:41 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:
>
> >Looks like you've upgraded the kernel with 'rpm -F' instead of 'rpm -i'
> >You could verify if the old kernel is still there with:
> >
> >rpm -q kernel
> >
> >If necessary (as long as you have a working kernel and rpm) could
> >install back the old kernel with:
> >
> >rpm -ivh --oldpackage kernel.....rpm
> >
> >The solutuion would be to reboot to the new 2197 kernel.
> >
> >Satish
>
>   I used up2date so I guess it did something as far as upgrading the
> kernel the wrong way. I haven't run anything else as far as the RPM
> package manager (unless up2date ran it).
>
> rpm -q kernel gives:    2.4.22-1.2197.mptl
> (this is the same as the directory name under /lib/modules)
>
>   From doing a Google on "reboot to new kernel", it would seem that I
> am going to have to recompile the kernel on my server. Does this sound
> correct? Is this okay to do without being physically there at the
> machine (in case something happens)?
>
>   Also, I don't know if it matters any but I am using Ensim to manage
> my web server (different domains for the same company).
>
> Patrick
No you do not need/want to recompile.

What appears to have happened is that the directory and modules were
removed (I.E. /lib/modules/2.4.22-2188-nptl/*) but not the kernel or the
initrd-2.4.22-1.2188.ntpl files.

Check your /boot dir and see if all the kernel files for ver
2.4.22-1.2297.ntpl are present and then reboot using this kernel.

IMHO if all goes well you would be better off modifying your
/boot/grub.conf file and booting off this kernel since it is an upgrade.

If you want to use the older kernel for some reason then reload the old
kernel.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>