FC2 kernel failure on SCSI machine

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 01:25:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 09:59, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I just upgraded a SCSI only machine (Asus P2B-LS) to FC-2,
> and found the provided kernel did not run -
> I got a kernel panic with disk not found.
>
> This did not particularly worry me,
> as I was upgrading, and could use the 2.6.7 kernel I had compiled
> under FC-1.
>
> I'm surprised though that SCSI-only machines like mine,
> with a standard Adaptec aic7xxx driver,
> do not seem to be catered for.

Tim,

I have an adaptec board that uses the same driver with absolutely no
problems. In fact, I also have an IDE drive that holds winblows but I
boot from scsi and then use grub to boot windows.

Don't blame the kernel panic on lack of support for your board. The scsi
bios gets the drive and adapter available for booting.  Only during the
kernel load and configuration does the driver come into play.

The "disk not found" error may be due to not getting the aic7xxx driver
loaded since the 2.5.7 version would have been in use when you did the
upgrade.   It also may be a result if an incomplete or failed mkinitrd
during the upgrade.

What errors do you get? You said a kernel panic and you can go back to
the old kernel you used in FC1 so I assume that grub is working and it
is just dying on the kernel load. I also would hazard a guess that this
is a version/module conflict since you were running 2.6.7 in FC1 and
when you did an upgrade to FC2 you went to 2.6.5 as the base kernel.

Try yum update and see if you can get everything consistent for FC2. It
sounds like some of the stuff for FC1 is still interfering with the FC2
install as a result of the upgrade and not a clean install.