mass chmod chown...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jul 17 14:09:30 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 17.07.2004 schrieb Jeff Vian um 15:54:

> > find /path/to/change/things/inside/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755

> And you would do something similar for the files.  Normally you would
> want the directories to be executable, but the files to not be
> executable so you would do the directories and files differently on the
> chmod command.

Exactly. I did not make that clear enough in my posting, thanks Jeff.
That was the deeper meaning of why better use the "find" command instead
of using a "chmod -R", because the later affects all things below the
given directory, while the former affects only those type of objects (I
mean directories, files, character devices, block devices ...) you
specifiy with the "type" parameter.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.uml
Serendipity 16:05:24 up 4 days, 13:47, load average: 0.17, 0.20, 0.23