wireless wpc54g

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Sun Jul 18 20:55:39 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Stephen Tate
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 4:34 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: wireless wpc54g

>I am attempting to configure my wireless wpc54g card and router using
Fedora. I'm >searching google and other locations for drivers/instructions.
(1) Get ndiswrapper from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

(2)make install
   ndiswrapper -i WPC54G/lsbcmnds.inf

(3) Next up is creating an interface configuration file in
  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0:

  MODE=Managed
  ESSID=wifi.mfd-consult.dk
  KEY=<26 hex characters for the 128 bit WEP key specific to my AP>
  DEVICE=wlan0
  ONBOOT=yes
  BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  USERCTL=no
  PEERDNS=no
  TYPE=Wireless

(4) Then came the tricky part: The WPC54G is a PCMCIA card, but on my Redhat
Linux 9 installation, the networking is set to start up before the PCMCIA
interface is initialized. To overcome this problem, I changed the chkconfig
parameters for three of the startup scripts (the NFS script failed to work
properly if not started after the network):
  pcmcia: 21 96
  network: 22 90
  nfslock: 23 86

(5) After that, I issued the following commands to reset the sequence:
  chkconfig pcmcia reset
  chkconfig network reset
  chkconfig nfslock reset

(6) The only thing missing was to make sure the PCMCIA and NdisWrapper
drivers were loaded on startup, by simulating a card insert event - if
necessary - and forcing the drivers to load:
rmmod ndiswrapper 2>/dev/null
cardctl status | grep "no card" > /dev/null && cardctl insert
modprobe ndiswrapper

That's it, running /etc/init.d/network restart should bring up the wireless
interface, after which I could turn off the ethernet connection by setting
ONBOOT=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

I found this on an archive a while back... Hope this may help you.

Regards,
John