serving pop3

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Mon Jul 19 18:30:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:15:03 -0400, "Jonathan T. Steadman"
<fedoracore at stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Ok I think i got it now then, but then when I send an email to say
>$userX at myipaddr should that not end up on my server if i have SMTP port
>25 open?  I would think mail would go to /var/mail/$userX if i did this,
>but it doesnt seem to be working for me, though outgoing mail works
>fine, does sendmail listen on different port for incoming mail? I am
>very confused lol

Your email address is xxx at youripaddr and, if you have sendmail or some other
MTA running and you have port 25 open, then the mail will arrive you your
machine.  The mail will then be put in /var/mail/xxx.  When you login to
dovecot with your POP mail client, dovecot will handle the dialog with your
mail client.

dovecot handles retrieval for your mail client.

sendmail handles receiving mail from other systems and sending mail from your
system to other systems.

If you want a friendlier email address, you can get a free dynamic DNS at
http://www.dyndns.org or, if you want to put down a little money, you can get
your own custom domain name.  There's a small client you download from their
site that keeps the DNS in synch with your current IP address.
--
   Steve