serving pop3, almost there w/sendmail...1 more

Jonathan T. Steadman fedoracore at stny.rr.com
Mon Jul 19 20:04:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:34, Steven Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:23:44 -0400, "Jonathan T. Steadman"
> <fedoracore at stny.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > am still not receiving any mail when i send to xxx at myipaddr though, I
> >also checked out that site and created a domain, thanx that is pretty
> >cool, anywayz I have hardware filewall (my router) to send anything from
> >port 25 to me 192.168.2.4, and also in fedora port 25 is open as well
> >sendmail is definatly running to because I can send via sendmail in
> >terminal.  Any ideas?  I am stumped.  Also I have just left dovcot alone
> >right now just working on getting sendmail to work, I just check
> >/var/mail/xxx, also I can send everything local to, like if i were to
> >send from UID 500 i can use sendmail to send to UID 502 and that works
> >fine.  From hotmail though if i send it doesnt seem to ever arrive.
> >though i never recieve delivery status notice like i usually do on
> >hotmail if something doesn't get to proper destination
>
> By default, sendmail only listens on 127.0.0.1. If it works locally the that's
> likely the problem.
>
> Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and look for this stanza
>
> dnl #
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
> address
> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
> dnl #
> dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> In this example, it's listening on the smtp port for all IPv4 addresses.
>
> After making the change, while still in /etc/mail, type
>
>   make -C /etc/mail
>
> When that finishes
>
>   /sbin/service sendmail restart
>
> Then try sending yourself mail from hotmail.
> --
>    Steve

Jul 19 15:56:55 localhost sendmail[11221]: i6JJusn5011221:
ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<brandyreuben at jonstest.dyndns.org>,
relay=bay2-f28.bay2.hotmail.com [65.54.247.28], reject=550 5.7.1
<brandyreuben at jonstest.dyndns.org>... Relaying denied

Jul 19 15:56:55 localhost sendmail[11221]: i6JJusn5011221:
from=<hotmailaddr at hotmail.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=bay2-f28.bay2.hotmail.com [65.54.247.28]

got one of these everytime, but now i know it is actually getting here,
do you know what this means?  I looked it up, and it has something to do
with rules that I have set but they are default because I didnt do it
and dont know how to change them either, I think it has to do with fact
that I am "localhost" rather then myip or now my new domain, from that
free domains place, but neither using my ip nor using the domain has
been successful sendmail shoots them down unfortunatly.  Thanx for all
the help so far, I just hope I can get this working the rest of the way.