Annoying and seemingly unsolvable problem.

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Mon Jul 19 23:40:20 UTC 2004

>> close out of the application that I copied it from.  Once I do that the
>> contents are no longer available for pasting.  Is this just a fluke on
>> my machine or is anyone else having this problem?  Is it even a
>> problem?  Sorry for such a trivial matter but I am a long time Windows
>> user and am just trying to get used to all the quirks of a linux
>> machine.

I'm a long time linux user, and only seem to research issues on servers so
much.. Although I run it as a workstation, I've never spent much time learning
the GUI's and figuring out the quirks.. I just deal with them and concentrate
on my work..

Cutting and pasting has always been a problem for me in linux.. some
applications simply highlighting the data copies, some you have to right click
and hit copy, some you can hit ctrl-x to cut it and put it in the buffer..
some you can hit ctrl-c..

and then pasting it..  well, maybe that's rocket science too.. Sometimes its
shift-insert, sometimes its middle mouse button, sometimes its ctrl-v..  Like
Craig said, it's all dependent on the application you are working in.. which I
dislike.

Klipper does try to fix some of this, but even if it has its little quirks
(Although I think they are trivial fixable).. I never liked how clipper tried
to launch applications and be all 'smart'.. and retains a history/multiple
buffers.. I just wanted to be able to have ctrl-c be copy in every
application.. and ctrl-v be paste in every application.. no more, no less.

So, I feel your pain. It's quirky.