DNS Setup

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Tue Jul 20 03:38:04 UTC 2004

Gator wrote:
> Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on DNS in Fedora?  They
> changed the directories from the old RH9.  I can figure some of them
> out, but a few are a mystery as to how they should be used (dev,
> slave, etc.)
>
> Thanks - Jack

The following website is a good starting point.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/ref-guide/ch-bin
d.html

With regards to the directories you mentioned - The slave directory "could"
be used to store only slave zones. That's up to you with how you configure
slave zones in named.conf. The etc, dev, var... directories are for when you
configure bind to run in a chroot'd environment. Checkout:
/etc/sysconfig/named

If you do enable bind to run in a chroot'd environment, then the directory
structure/files bind would normally access in a non-chroot'd environment
would need to be recreated in the chroot'd directory root. Redhat has
already created the chroot'd directory root in /var/named/chroot. So if you
specify the following in named.conf...

options {
        directory "/var/named";
};

Then the absolute path to the above mentioned /var/named directory would be
/var/named/chroot/var/named. Also, since named is started in a chroot'd
environment, then the named.conf file would also need to be located in the
chroot'd etc directory, not /etc/named.conf. i.e.
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf. And so on... The key here is to think
relative to the chroot base directory.

Steve Cowles