Email Signatures

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 20 14:14:51 UTC 2004

On Jul 20, 2004 at 15:03, Douglas Furlong in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:54 +0100, Douglas Furlong wrote:
>> Good afternoon.
>>
>> Some one mentioned several months ago, that there is a "standard" way of
>> having signatures appear on an email, so that when replying the original
>> signature is stripped, and as such prevents constant duplication of
>> redundant data.
>>
>> I thought this was stipulated by having "-- " in a line of it's own
>> above the signature, but that does not appear to work. If any one knows
>> of an RFC on this, I would appreciate a link to it (I had a quick look
>> but couldn't find any thing).
That would depend on the MUA used. I use pine and all such
.sigs get stripped from my replies. I know that with Groupwise
up to version 6.4 this is not the case. Or at least I can't get
it to strip .sigs, add '>' for lines quoted and put the cursor
at the bottom of the msg.

>I just want to check that there is no "strange" attachment to my email other then the gpg signature?
Apart from line length I got it fine.

>I've just got a bounce with the following subject.
>
>                           Subject:
>Symantec Mail Security detected that
>you sent a message containing a
>suspicious attachment.
>(SYM:02629890341371604646)
I suspect that this is a virus that was sent from someone
who had your e-mail address in their addressbook. That's
the in thing these for viruses and worms...

N.Emile...
narcolepulacyi, n.:
	The contagious action of yawning, causing everyone in sight
	to also yawn.
		-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends
 10:09:38  up 22 days,  3:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00