Webmail. Which package do you like? Anything out there with better interface than Squirrelmail?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 08:56:00 UTC 2004

Ben Steeves wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:59:43 -0500, Chris Barnes <chris-barnes at tamu.edu> wrote:
>
>>Apollo at Carmel Music & Entertainment <lists at carmelme.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using IMP (from http://horde.org), I have tried before
>>>Squirrelmail (but the interface is super ugly). Do I have any other
>>>options? Horde/IMP webmail is pain in the rear to configure, buggy
>>>too.
>>>
>>>What else is out there?
>>
>>I've used both Horde and Squirrelmail.  You've already dis'd my favorite
>>(squirrelmail).
>

> IMP is pretty but the page sizes are huge -- on a slow cable/DSL link,
> it's painful... on dial-up it's practically unusable!  Squirrelmail
> isn't as pretty but it's much lighter-weight and really has a lot of
> good functionality under the hood (plugins and such).  My vote is also
> for Squirrelmail.

Another advantage of Squirrelmail is that it uses IMAP to communicate with
the server. It can be run on a different system to the mail server, and if
users have IMAP clients on the desktop and use Squirrelmail remotely they
have access to the same set of folders.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555