Email getting and sending

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 12:43:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 02:57, Juan L. Pastor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently using evolution and my ISP pop3 and smtp servers to get
> and send emails. I usually get lots of spam/virus emails and I'd like to
> get rid of them. I want to take advantage of this and learn to setup
> sendmail. What programs can you advise to get and send emails? I have a
> dynamic IP address with ADSL connection and several email accounts (3
> with my ISP, another one in yahoo, another one in gmx.net).
>
> Juan

If you want to get rid of spam you need to configure spamassassin and
use it as a filter in evolution.  setting up sendmail will not do that
for you on its own.

To really setup sendmail and use it as an MTA you really need to have a
registered domain name.  And with a dynamic IP address you would need to
utilize one of the services such as dyndns to monitor for changing IP
addresses.

You may want to take a look at fetchmail which can be used to pull email
from all your accounts down to your box.  No sendmail needed for that.

If you do setup sendmail you will want to configure a pop3 or imap
service (dovecot or one of the others) and continue to use evolution if
you want to pull your email from your server instead of the isp.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

wrong polarity of neutron flow