Samba (DNS?) problem

Santiago Cepas scepas at ya.com
Wed Jul 21 18:12:30 UTC 2004

Thanks for answering Scott.

> Actually a better test would be:
>
> smbclient -L servername -N

I tried that and got:

[santi at unit21 santi]$ smbclient -L unit21 -N
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[CYBES4] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.3-5]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I have already added the user santi with SWAT.

> This should show you the systems that your linux box has seen on the
> network.  It may take time for it to see a system that was just put on
> the network.
>
> That said, samba uses NETBIOS to exchange information with systems on
> the network.  What you need to sort out is the type of permissions your
> windows network is using and make sure your samba server is configured
> correctly.
>
> If you are not running a full blown domain then user permissions are
> probably used.  I have found that in that case you may get better
> results if you create a user on the samba server using smbpasswd to
> create and set the user up.
>
> >From a windows box on your network try using the run command (from the
> start menu) and put \\ipaddressofsambaserver in the run command.  I have
> found that this will work sometimes if the name of the server can not be
> resolved.

Didn't work!

> Also you may need to configure your samba server to never be the
> prefered master, local master, or domain master, and set the os level to
> 20 or less.  And set the netbios name in the samba configuration file
> for your server.  And make sure the workgroup name corresponds to your
> windows workgroup.

Done

> Also if you have a wins server on your network configure the samba
> server to point to it.
>
> You may want to load samba-swat.  It gives you a fairly nice graphical
> interface (via a web page) to configure all of this.  Once you have that
> loaded just go to a browser and point it at http://localhost:901

I'm using swat. It's cool.

Well, here is my smb.conf

# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/07/21 20:07:35

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CYBES4
        server string = Samba Server
        lanman auth = No
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        min protocol = NT1
        lm announce = No
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        valid users = santi

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[samba]
        path = /home/santi/samba
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

I guess I'm having a permissions problem here.