Configuring additional packages

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 21 23:22:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:45, John Dangler wrote:
> I have had to download sources for httpd, php, etc for my existing FC2
> installation (originally installed from .iso).  I noticed that the
> executable for httpd is currently installed in /usr/sbin, and the modules
> are currently installed in /usr/lib/httpd.  Is it safe to configure httpd to
> be installed in the same paths as the original, or is it more advisable to
> begin using /usr/local for these (and other added packages) and clean up the
> existing entries afterward?
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> JD

I install http, php, postgresql etc in the /usr/local directories and
have removed the rpms for those.  I actually removed the rpms of those
packages prior to final installation of the tar balls.

I want to go back and see if checkinstall can be used to generate RPMs
for those packages.  If possible I would then use those rpms to install
the packages on other systems.

I always wondered why they changed the install locations of various
packages.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'"
		-- Dr. Who