enable multicast?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Jul 22 00:04:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 17:46, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> ipv4 Multicast works fine actually. 2.6 even supports igmp3 and mldv2
> (for ipv6 multicast) for group membership requests. The problem really is
> interdomain multicast support, which frankly isn't getting any better.
> Using multicast on you home network or subnet is trivial and all the
> pieces are there and available.

    Sure; the underpinning is there...but though I've heard of _A_
client out there (other than NTP) for it, and the decade-old documents,
it's pretty tough for a non-tech guy to get any use of it.

    And it's a shame; the concept is wonderful. It even meshes well with
moderm "TV like" entertainment, yet...everyone's ignoring it.

    If you can update the howto, or just help someone put a new one
together, you'd be doing a great service for the rest of us!

    (I might have enough time to maintain it for ya...)

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller