How to activate proper NIC driver?

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Thu Jul 22 00:25:05 UTC 2004

It looks like I got it:
Calling "modprobe sk98lin" gave me a bunch of lines about eth0
Calling it again returned nothing any more, so I guess the first call loaded
the driver.
Calling "ifconfig eth0 up <IPADDR>" started it up and I was able to actually
ping my gateway.

So I added a new line into /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 sk98lin

I also added a new ifcfg-eth0 with the ususal content.

After rebooting worked without problems, but still no eth0 when running
ifconfig

"modprobe -c" does not list the sk98lin driver. Searching for eth0 in the
output shows:
alias eth0 off

Then I found that there is another file called /etc/modules.conf
Adding "alias eth0 sk98lin" in there as well does the trick.
After rebooting my eth0 is there and working.

So now the last question:
What is the difference between modules.conf and modprobe.conf and what do I
need the second one for?

Thanks,

MARK