3ware device names

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 01:16:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > > I have a 3ware controller in a new server I just
> > > received, and have installed FC1 on it. The
> > controller
> > > is detected but I can't find the devices hanging
> > off
> > > it at all. It's got 4 250gb PATA drives on the
> > > controller.
> >
> > first you assign them to a unit in the 3ware
> > controller's bios, hit alt-3
> > when the 3ware bios screen is up, (either a stripe
> > of one kind or other,
> > or jbod) then they show up as /dev/sd(a)(b)(c)
>
> That's where my problem is. I've assigned the 4
> 250's
> under a raid 5 array within the 3ware, but when
> booting into FC1 I don't see any /dev/sd? devices.
>
> Is there some way I can check the 3ware driver is
> loaded properly? (I saw kudzu install support for it
> on bootup).

Ok, I see this in my dmesg output:

Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0
SCSI device sda: 1465185024 512-byte hdwr sectors
(750175 MB)
 sda: sda1
3w-xxxx: Shutting down card 0.
3w-xxxx: Shutdown complete.
scsi : 0 hosts left.

So for some reason the kernel assigns sda1 to the
750gb raid 5, then shuts the controller down?

Any ideas?

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com