Package Management

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 22 02:52:28 UTC 2004

John Dangler said:
> In reading the man pages for rpm, I didn't see a way to take a package
> currently in the rpm database and sync it with one that I've downloaded
> and installed from source.

RPM handles RPM packages.  If you want to use the rpm database you must create RPM packages of the new package.  End of story.

If you just need to change compile time options, download the src.rpm packages and rebuild them with your options.  If you want newer versions, use those src.rpms as a starting point.

Your other option is to deal with the dependencies yourself from source and just not install RPMs.

--
William Hooper