Installing Fedora on Dell Optiplex

Dave Prentice prentice at instruction.com
Thu Jul 22 03:02:09 UTC 2004

Hello all,
    I'm new to this list and hope somebody can help. I am trying to
set up a classroom network using K12LTSP, which is based on Fedora
Core (version1, I think). The host machine is a Dell Optiplex GX1 with
a 600 mhz P3, 256 meg RAM, 11 gig drive space, and a builtin video
controller with 8meg RAM. The monitor is a HP SVGA  capable of
1024x768.
    During installation, graphical mode would freeze up with a blank
screen. I did a text based install, but after installation the system
defaulted to graphic mode and froze up every time it booted. I booted
linux single and changed /etc/inittab to runlevel 3 so it boots to
text mode OK. I can't figure how to configure X so it will work in
graphics mode. Has anybody had a similar problem? Any suggestions are
appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice at instruction.com