Simple database

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 22 14:19:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 09:43, Timothy Payne wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 02:19, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
> > Dear Tim,
> >
> > do you actually need a graphical interface to your database? If your
> > database is really "simple", maybe you could consider the trivial
> > approach of using the GNU commands join, grep, cut, awk, sort and several
> > others to solve your problem.
> <snip>
> I do need the GUI or text based with boxes for the fields, if I find one
> I'll use it at work but my father is 70 and he's just got the email
> thing down, that almost killed me :-)  I don't know how many times I
> said  "JUST WAIT ! STOP CLICKING ALL OVER THE PLACE !"
>
> Thanks to all for the many suggestions I've saved them all.
> >
> > > Is anyone using a simple database on FC2?  I have a pile of notes on my
> > > desk from tips on this list and changes.  It would be nice if it could
> > > import files so I could use it for other things, but I just want to set
> > > up a few fields and be able to search through them.
> > >
> > > Tim...

If you are looking for a way to organize a very simple set of things you
might try the openoffice spreadsheet.  Would be very crude but would let
you search for things easy enough.

Yesterday I did get a copy of pgadmin3 built on FC2.  That provides an
interface for postgresql.  That may be way more database than you need
though.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick up something
from the floor while you get up.