ATI 8500 3D

Peter Hutnick fedora at hutnick.com
Thu Jul 22 19:48:44 UTC 2004

The Xorg.0.log is not really attached this time.  The last time I sent
this message it just . . . disappeared :-(

Peter Hutnick wrote:

 > I feel like I'm really close, and I really want to play Vega Strike :-)

Well, I was finally able to compile a module that loads last night.  I
created the XF86Config-4 with fglrxconfig and mved it to xorg.conf..
When I start X the screen goes black.  I can't kill it with
I can't kill X.  Even "telinit 3" won't kill X.  So each time I try a
new config I have to reboot :-(

I /think/ that the problem is that I am using the VGA (aka CRT) output
on the card.  The Xorg.0.log is attached.  The interesting part is:

(II) fglrx(0): Primary head:
Monitor   -- CRT
Connector -- None
DAC Type  -- Unknown
TMDS Type -- NONE
DDC Type  -- NONE
(II) fglrx(0): Secondary head:
Monitor   -- CRT
Connector -- VGA
DAC Type  -- Primary
TMDS Type -- NONE
DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
(II) fglrx(0): EDID data from the display on Secondary head
--------------------
-------
(II) fglrx(0): Manufacturer: SNY  Model: 380  Serial#: 433152
[etc]

I've tried setting the thing (using fglrxconfig) to "clone" mode, but
this has no effect that I can see.

On the other hand, it may be something else entirely.

Oh, also note that this is with kernel 2.6.5 off the FC2 CD.  I removed
the updated kernel RPMs and deleted the /lib/modules/2.6.6.whatever and
the /usr/src/linux-2.6.6.whatever directories.  The (updated) FAQ entry
still does not make any allowance for the changes to the asm page count
structure I wrote about previously.

One thing at a time.

Thanks for all the help guys!  Oh, and, as usual, I get the digest.  If
you cc: me it will help me send messages that thread properly.

-Peter