Firstboot problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 23 13:25:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 01:12, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> > This has happened more than once?  With the same user?

> Just on ID 10T errors, clients see the firstboot screen with a nice
> button that says "next" so they hit the power button !
> Which invokes fsck (to correct my terminology from chkdisk)
> fsck switches from graphic boot to text an not back again.
>
> can't I just disable it all together, Maybe use reiserfs?

Actually I am not sure I understand.

Are you talking about a system that has already been loaded and is being
used by the customer?  Or are you talking about a system that is being
loaded from CD for the very first time?

What file system are you using?  ext3 can recover very nicely without
running fsck (as can reiserfs, I think, but I have not used that one).
Great thing about journaling file systems.

This kind of reminds me of the old joke of guy at the doctors saying
"Hey doc, it hurts when I bend my finger back like this", the doctor
responds, "Don't do that and it won't hurt.".

I do not understand why they would hit the power button when they see a
button that says "next".  Either educate them or as I said before get
the 2x4 adjustment tool out and apply it liberally.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.
		-- Winston Churchill