pgp/gpg/md5

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Fri Jul 23 14:11:02 UTC 2004

Is there a 'preferred' method of validating/using keys?
I had a recommendation earlier for using gnugpg (although I'm somewhat new
to Linux, so I'm still learning about keys and usage), but I just downloaded
a fresh copy of Apache and they recommend validating using either pgp/gpg or
md5.
I read the man page on md5 (actually openssl dgst -md5), and typed the
following on the command line:
openssl dgst -md5 -verify httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz
The response was that there was no signature to verify, use the -signature
option.
so - openssl dgst -md5 -signature httpd-2.0.50.tar.gz; this seems to be
waiting for my input (unless I didn't correctly interpret the man page
here).

John Dangler