Pesky virus

mmarkiw at speakeasy.net mmarkiw at speakeasy.net
Fri Jul 23 15:20:23 UTC 2004

My guess is that you've been "spoofed".  I used to work closely with our network admin and we would see this quite a bit.  We used Novell's Groupwise mail system, whose address book wasn't able to be read by the mass-mailer type viruses so prevalent today.  We'd still get at least a dozen emails a day from irate users/customers complaining that we sent them viruses.

Most likely, someone you know is infected.  This person has their name in your address book and the virus is pulling your name out and slapping it into the "From" field.  Its actually quite clever, because it hides the true sender and if the email is rejected, it might find its way to another victim, rather than the already infected host.

If you haven't executed any of the attachments on those suspicious emails, then you're probably safe.  We always told our users to delete the mail, empty their trash folder, and run a virus scan before leaving for lunch or at the end of the day if it would make them feel better.

Hope this helps!
-Mike