drive partition on install

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 17:00:31 UTC 2004

John Dangler wrote:
> I could guesstimate that /tmp could use no more than 10% - approx 3gb - ever

And should remain way below that.

One thing you might care to try, since IIRC you have plenty of memory,
is adding
none       /tmp        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
to /etc/fstab. This mounts /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem (obviously): while
memory pressure is low, files stay in RAM. As more memory is used, they
get pushed out to swap like any other file.

The filesystem has a maximum size (by default, half of RAM), but only
uses what it actually needs. On my system, that's currently 5 MB.

This does mean that /tmp is wiped each boot: this is actually
recommended in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

You may want some more swap to handle this, but not much. See
/usr/src/linux-*/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt for more details.

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "Come on, son, give us your best shot."
westexe.demon.co.uk    |     -- Goliath