the registry

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 09:37:11 UTC 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 03:30, david wrote:
>Hi all,
>

>I just want to know something,
>
>Windows uses the registry what does linux use??
>If possible where can I find out detailed information bout this??
>

>Thanxs a million
>dave

This at first read sounds like a candidate for stupid question of the
year.  But on reconsidering, maybe windows did something right by
consolidating all those *.conf files scattered all over hell into one
file.  In any event, each application that needs to know what
resources it might have, has a name-of-program.conf file thats
independant of other programs.  So there is not a single "registry"
file on a *nix system. but several dozen scattered here and there,
and not all in the /etc directory although thats where they are
supposed to be AIUI..

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.