the registry

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 09:59:44 UTC 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 05:47, Paul wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> This at first read sounds like a candidate for stupid question of
>> the year.  But on reconsidering, maybe windows did something right
>> by consolidating all those *.conf files scattered all over hell
>> into one file
>
>I can't disagree more strongly with that if I tried.
>
>Sure it may be a slight pain to have a large number of conf files
>in /etc, but when the registry gets damaged under Windows, that's it
> - you're knackered.
>
>You also have the additional problem of having things infecting the
>registry (such as malware/spyware hooks) which then proceed to
> infect not just their own entries, but lots of other places to
> ensure the replication. This has to be one of the best reasons
> there ever could be *not* to have a single file registry. Linux is
> strong due to the disparate config files which doesn't allow for
> such infections.
>
>Also you don't have very confusing keys which no-one understands!
>
>TTFN
>
>Paul

I agree, the registry being corrupted has lead to many many
re-installs of winderz. The problems it has *could* be alleviated if
only there was a backup copy a simple keyboard command could
implement.  OTOH, finding all those *.conf files when each thinks it
needs its own subdir CAN be a problem also.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.