There's a robot farting in my ear.

Art Ped cerenkov_fc2 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 15:48:42 UTC 2004

Price Technology <pricetech at charter.net> wrote:
Sam Tregar wrote:

> I'm not kidding. When I listen to music on my laptop running FC2
> every so often I hear the unmistakable sound of a robot passing gas.
> It's somewhere between a buzz and static. Does anyone know how to
> solve this?
>
> The machine is a Thinkpad T20. The sound chip is a Crystal Audio
> Sound Fusion PCI. I'm using the cs46xx ALSA driver in a 2.6.7
> kernel. I added the "thinkpad=1" option in modprobe.conf but that
> didn't help.
>
> I'm thinking about trying the OSS driver since it's still in the
> kernel. Does anyone have a better idea?
>
> -sam

Don't feed the laptop beans or cabbage.

fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list at redhat.com

     Dear Sam

Sorry it's taken me such a long time to get to your post.

I am a user of a Thinkpad R31. Presumably, your laptop is made to a much higher quality (it probably costed more and probably wasn't made in a Pacific island sweatshop), but the problem you describe is one I have suffered.
When I played music on the laptop it would be okay for a while and then it would start spluttering, and then the sound would degenerate from the crystal tones of Beethoven piano sonatas to that of a flatulent robot.
Later, the farting stopped and there was no more sound.

And so I took it to a repair place, and they inspected the sound card. It turns out that they didn't kit the laptop out with a big enough fan or heatsink during the design stages and the soundcard's innards had burnt out and/or melted. I *think* IBMs tend to position their sound cards very near the processor and RAM part of the computer where the heat can build up big time.

My message is: by all means don't rule out a hardward problem.