README: Current Fedora Core 2 Problems & Solutions/Helpful Links

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 19:23:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 12:43, Craig White wrote:
snip
> > </rant>
> -----
> interesting rant
>
> now mine
>
> <rant>
> People who steal other threads
>
> People who ask questions that provide absolutely no details about the
> hardware they are using (video card) even though it would appear that
> the hardware configuration is the problem.
>
> People that give no indication of the logs that they have looked at for
> clues to their problems (/var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/messages or
> /var/log/dmesg)
>
> People thoroughly unfamiliar with
> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
>
> </rant>
>
> Craig
I agree -- but IMHO -- Many times these people are newbies and don't
know to send this information. Consider the MScat converts -- How much
data does Mscat give the user to deal with a problem?

Possibly a netique message at sign-up to relay this information.

I suspect that many newbies are not even aware of the /var/log files
much less how to get debug information.
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>