Open ports on FC2

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 23:51:53 UTC 2004

John Dangler wrote:
> I went to the ShieldsUP!!! site and ran the file sharing and common ports
> tests.  According to the results, I allowed ping to reply to their server
> via ICMP echo, and I have port 21 (ftp) and 23 (telnet) open.  How do I:

Off-the-wall thought:

What sort of connection do you have? Is there anything like an ADSL
router or an ISDN router between you and the Internet?

Exactly what these devices do differs between manufacturers, models, and
firmware revisions, but there are some common traits:

 * They'll usually be configurable through a Web browser. They'll very
   often have telnet access, and quite often have ftp access (for
   uploading firmware).

 * These ports will always be open on the LAN side. Sometimes, they'll
   come by default with these ports open to the Internet.

 * If they have ports open to the Internet, they'll often handle those
   ports themselves, and pass any other incoming traffic back to a
   specified computer on the LAN side. (Often, they'll stretch
   terminology and call this the "DMZ host"). This is especially common
   where the device has only 1 public IP address and does NATting.

Usually, you can turn all this off.

If you can't find what's providing these services on your PC, look at
your network connection.

HTH,

James.
--
E-mail address: james@ | Today Has Been Two Of Those Days.
westexe.demon.co.uk    |     -- Mike Andrews