Memory stick Medion

Aaron Schlaegel 777tahder at schlaegel.com
Mon Jul 26 06:17:22 UTC 2004

antonio montagnani wrote:
> I have a small question.
> Why is the procedure of creating a mount point, mounting the device etc
> fully automatic when I connect my digital camera?? what is different?

kudzu and updfstab handle auto-mounting of devices.

Unfortunately, they don't automatically mount everything that is a USB storage device.
Instead they mount devices that mentioned in
"/etc/updfstab.conf" and "/etc/updfstab.conf.default"

First find out the description as reported by kudzu, this is what is used to match
in the updfstab.conf files.

`kudzu -s -p -c HD`

Note the description ("desc:") that is listed for the USB device (usually sda).

Copy the flash section out of "/etc/updfstab.conf.default" into "/etc/updfstab.conf" and add a match for the description.

device flash {
     partition 1
     match   hd CompactFlash
     match   hd ImageMate
     match   hd Flash
     match   hd JumpDrive
     match   hd MuVo
     match   hd ClipDrive
     match   hd "Generic Traveling Disk"
     match   hd "Jungsoft NEXDISK"
     match   hd "Memory Key"
     match   hd IntelligentStick

     match   hd UniquePartOfYourDescription
}

Once this works submit a bug to Redhat so that your description can get into the next update.
Then, next time, it will "just work".