[OT] Hack attempts

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 26 16:59:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 12:45, Botond Kardos wrote:
>     (Sorry, I missed the original post, that's why I reply here.)
>

> > I have seen reports that indicate a brand new Windows
> > box connected directly to the Internet will be infected
> > within 10 minutes.
>
>    OFF topic here, but might be interesting:
>    mine was infected in about 1 minute when I started experimenting with
> DMZ, and a colleague of mine reported 4 minutes. :)

I was being conservative in giving it 10 minutes.  :)

Your results are similar to reports I had heard as well.  Luckily I have
not witnessed such first hand (that I know of).

And yes, it is interesting.  Hard to believe just how hostile an
environment the Internet has become.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The cost of living is going up, and the chance of living is going down.