nfs slow behaviour

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 26 21:03:34 UTC 2004

John Thompson wrote:
> Bob Marcan wrote:
>
>> John Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> No solution, but I see a similar problem here using FC1.  My /home
>>> directories are nfs-mounted from a FreeBSD (5.2.1) machine and as you
>>> say it can take from 5 to 30 minutes for the mount to succeed -- when
>>> it is done from /etc/fstab:
>>>
>>> amayatra:/home                 /home                   nfs rw 0 0
>>>
>>> I've actually commented out this line in /etc/fstab because it takes
>>> so damn long to mount. No errors are displayed.  The nfs server shows
>>> the mount request being received, but it takes fer-frickin'-ever to
>>> complete on the client.  None of the other machines on the network
>>> (running FreeBSD and NetBSD) have this problem.
>>>
>>> Curiously, if I leave the line commented out and mount /home manually
>>> ("mount amayatra:/home /home") it is instantly mounted; no delay.
>>>
>>> I've tried changing when the nfs filesystems are mounted in init, but
>>> it doesn't seem to matter.
>>>
>>> It's kind of a PITA because I have to mount /home manually when I
>>> reboot, but I don't reboot all that often so I've just put up with it.
>

>> We have similar problem at one of the our customers. RH9, tg3 driver.
>> It takes too long to autonegotiate with the switch.
>> After that, everything works fine.
>> tg3 doesn't have any options, ethtool can only set 100Mb, mii-tool
>> crashes.
>

> What is this "tg3 driver"?

It's the Broadcom/Tigon driver.  Personally, I've never liked the tg3
driver for many of the same reasons (it has trouble with autonegotiation
on some switches...in our case Extreme Networks Summits and Black
Diamonds).

I prefer downloading, building and installing the driver from Broadcom's
site.  It's pretty solid.  The URL is:

http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/driver-sla.php?driver=570x-Linux
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -