Problems with Fedora Core 2 and NVIDIA 6106 Linux Drivers

Brian Hanks bhanks at crackedweasel.org
Tue Jul 27 10:40:11 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 15:07, Costa, Marcelo Ferreira da wrote:
> > I hav problems with Fedora Core 2 and NVIDIA 6106 drivers. When I install
> > the NVIDIA package drivers on Fedora Core 2 original CD´s installation, my
> > machine freezes (no response, I can´t go to shell or do anything). Somebody
> > knows what I need to do?
> >
> > Marcelo

I had the exact same problem and I tried everything without any luck.
Then, I realized that the NVIDIA driver was linked to the wrong client
libraries.  You can verify this by running 'glxinfo | less'.  Look for
the "server glx", "client glx", and "direct rendering" sections near the
top.  My "client glx" section showed version = 1.2 and vendor = SGI.

I tried re-running 'ldconfig', but it didn't fix anything.  So, I
tracked down the appropriate libraries by reading the NVIDIA README
doc.  I moved these into place and created the necessary sym links, then
re-ran 'ldconfig'.

Since then, everything is working fine.  The output of 'glxinfo' now
shows version = 1.3 for both server and client and vendor = NVIDIA for
both server and client.

Other useful commands are:
 'xdpyinfo | less'
 'ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears'
 'cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status'

If this is indeed your issue and you need additional help, just let me
know.

-Brian Hanks
bhanks at crackedweasel.org
bhanks at bhanks.com