Update on network device aliases...

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 27 13:19:13 UTC 2004

About a month ago I submitted a question about my failure to bring up
network device aliases such as eth1:0, eth1:1, etc. There were no
replies, but I've recently done some followup work on this and have some
more information.

The problem appears to be with dhclient... I rebuilt and installed
dhcpcd snatched from rpmfind (this is what my box was using before
Fedora 2). With dhcpcd installed, ifup will try dhclient to get dhcp
settings, it will fail if the network device is an ethernet alias, and
then ifup will try dhcpcd, which works with the alias.

Any insights?