Why there is no athlon specific kernel in Fedora core 1/2 ?

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 27 15:38:00 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 14:25 +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Why is the athlon optimised compiled kernel available in Fedora? Also if I
> > try to rebuild from SRPM, it tells me that athlon architecture is not
> > included.
>
> Certainly from the 2.6 kernel there wasn't an Athlon option - mainly as
> the kernel now self detects the processor and applies the optimisations
> itself. You just have to use the i686 version to access this.

There certainly IS an option in 2.6 for Athlon- it is CONFIG_MK7, in the
kernel config menu it is under "Processor type and features -->
Processor Family" (with Subarchitecture type set to "PC-compatible").

Note: I've been using the kernel-source rpm to build custom kernels,
rather than trying to use the kernel SRPM (I also am not yet up to the
latest FC2 kernel on my laptop), so I can't say what the issue is with
the original poster, but I suspect he'll need to update the spec file as
well as the kernel config used in the SRPM.