FC2 menus

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Tue Jul 27 17:07:31 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

	I have an application menu that we've been using for a few
years now under KDE 2.2.2 on about a hundred RH7.*-based systems.
It's just a tree under /etc/X11/applnk, like this:

applnk
|-- Communication
|   |-- InstantMessaging
|   |-- Mail
|   `-- News
|-- Computation
|-- DataAnalysis
|-- Design
|-- Development
|-- Editors
..... and so on.

Each directory has a .directory file, giving the name.  Within the directories
are *.desktop files.  I'd like to take this tree, update it for
FC2, and use it as part of a new standard configuration for our department.

	My original thought was to edit /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
so that it only contained the following:

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">
<Menu>
  <Name>Applications</Name>
  <LegacyDir>/etc/X11/applnk</LegacyDir>
</Menu>

I thought that "LegacyDir" would do the right thing, and create the
desired menu tree.  Unfortunately, what I end up with is a start menu
with no aplications at all.

	Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

						Thanks in advance,
						Bryan
Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu