How can I block IP address range with sshd_config

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jul 27 21:48:58 UTC 2004

James Marcinek wrote:
> I recently had the same issue. I could you give an example of a reject rule.
> This is the IP address that was used: 210.99.38.200 They tried to use the same
> non-existent account. Is there some exploit out there or are they just trying to
> get into a system that is not secured well? They have their FTP daemon running:
> ISA Server: extended error message : 220 WOWLiNUX Paran R2 Server ready. 530
> Sorry, maxium users 10 -- try again later James

Did you also contact the people who own that IP (a public school in
Korea...surprise, surprise!) and tell them that what they're doing is
bloody illegal?  You should, even though they'll most likely ignore you.

To block incoming connection attempts from that address in iptables:

	iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 210.99.38.200 --syn -j DROP

And if you want to also block UDP:

	iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 210.99.38.200 -j DROP

You might want to block the whole /26 CIDR allocation:

	iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 210.99.38.192/26 --syn -j DROP
	iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 210.99.38.192/26 -j DROP

-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -