system clock is too slow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 28 03:51:54 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 23:17, Erik Hemdal wrote:
[...]
>I'll
>
>>definetely run ntpdate at boot and will run ntpd as a daemon!
>>
>>Thanks Rick and Ben!
>
>The larger question, beyond use of ntpd, is why the clock runs slow.
>I've only seen this happen on systems that are extremely heavily
>loaded.  When the system runs near 100% load all the time, the
> real-time clock interrupt gets starved, and the clock drifts back.
> And the only time I've seen this occur is with a computer running a
> heavy compute load, like the SETI at Home daemon or the Folding at Home
> program.  I'd investigate this if you are running programs like
> this and your computer sits otherwise idle for a long time.

I've been running seti at home for 5 years, and have never had a clock
error that simply wasn't the cheapassed crytals used on current
mobo's.  Accuracy wise, these aren't even "timex" quality.  They will
often drift 5-10 seconds a day, and thats been all the correction
needed so far on these 2 machines.

Its the reboot screwups after a crash that I'm fussing about.  They
make you examine your sanity when you made the choice of putting the
hw clock on Grenwich time.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.