Quick X window problem

Mike Ramirez mike at thexxxhost.com
Wed Jul 28 10:01:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 02:13, Giovanni Riganti wrote:
> Alle 10:55, mercoledì 28 luglio 2004, Neil Marjoram ha scritto:
> > Sorry to be a bit thick, I could find the answer anywhere.
> > I am trying to display an X app from a different system on my system. It
> > does not seem to work on FC2, has anything changed?
> >
> > What I am doing :
> >
> > Remote :
> > export DISPLAY=hostname.here.uk:0.0
> >
> > Local :
> > xhost +
> > access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>
> > Remote :
> > ./firefox &
> >
> > (firefox-bin:28349): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >
> > I've tried several apps but get similar problems.
> > Is there anything else that controls the security for X now? Or am I being a
> little thick?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> If the network is not a problem (local & remote pc are connected in the same
> LAN), use ssh.
>
> [local at local /]ssh -l user remote
> [user at remote /]mozilla&
>
> note: you must enable X11Forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>

> Saluti,
> Gio
>

> --
> @uptime@ 11:03:15  up 61 days, 19:50,  4 users,

ALso VNC is a good substitute.  I use it for RDC type connections with
Linux Boxes.
The protocol it self is not secure but it can be used with ssh.

Getting Strated for UNIX style systems
http://www.realvnc.com/gettingstarted.html#4

Using SSH with VNC
http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/sshvnc.html