cannot telnet port 25 from other hosts

Giovanni Riganti admin.linux at eco.uninsubria.it
Wed Jul 28 15:05:08 UTC 2004

Alle 16:27, mercoledì 28 luglio 2004, ssoss S ha scritto:
> hi..  I found that I cannot telnet my linux box (fedora core1) via port 25
> (SMTP) but the SMTP service is started.  I can telnet to localhost via port
> 25.  May I know where is the config to control and allow me to telnet
> mylinux 25 from other hosts??
>
> FYI, my sendmail version is
> [root at watcher root]# telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 watcher.teasin.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Wed, 28 Jul 2004
> 22:19:17
> +0800

Hi,

By default, the Sendmail mail transport agent (MTA) does not accept network
connections from any host other than the local computer. If you want to
configure Sendmail as a server for other clients, you must edit
/etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change the DAEMON_OPTIONS line to also listen on
network devices (or comment out this option entirely using the dnl comment
delimiter). You must then regenerate /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the
following command (as root):

      make -C /etc/mail

      Note that you must have the sendmail-cf package installed for this to
work.

Ciao,
Gio

--