forcing umask for vsftpd

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jul 28 15:16:00 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Marius Andreiana <mandreiana at rdslink.ro> said:
> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 08:37 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > > I'm trying to setup a ftp incoming directory. All files/directories
> > > created in it should have execute and write permissions only, no read.
>
> > Set it in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
> How to do that only for one directory/user?
>
> For other users, the umask should be the default 022.

You'll have to use a different FTP server daemon.  The "vs" in "vsftpd"
stands for "very secure" but it could also mean "very simple"; it is not
very flexible when it comes to configuration (There are no per-directory
or per-user settings).

You could try ProFTPD; it is a highly configurable FTP daemon.  It used
to come with RHL but it had recurring security problems and was dropped
in favor of vsftpd.  I believe that proftpd is available from freshrpms.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>