Email question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jul 31 03:34:25 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 31.07.2004 schrieb Jake McHenry um 4:45:

> I just found this site:
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/smtp_auth.html
>

> I'll try to follow this.. just add the listed sections to sendmail.mc, just
> like drac, and then regenerate the cf file... correct?

> Jake McHenry

The code on the site you mention above contains sendmail.cf code. Don't
go that way.

Rudolfo did efforts to write a nice instruction set:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/html-single/Sendmail-SMTP-AUTH-HOWTO.html

Mainly all is prepared with the Sendmail which comes with Fedora to run
SMTP AUTH. YOU just have to activate entries in the sendmail.mc file and
regenerate the sendmail.cf from it:

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`EXTERNAL DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
PLAIN')dnl

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl --> is already active by default

Then make sure saslauthd is running: chkconfig saslauthd on; service
saslauthd start

That is all to let mail users authenticate if they have system accounts
- of course these accounts can have /bin/false as shell set so that they
have no shell login. If you prefer mail users being handled independent
from system users you can make use of sasldb2 or a mysql database.

Another topic is the use of STARTTLS to encrypt the connections between
Sendmail and mail clients so that when clients send their auth data this
data is not transfered in plain text. The Fedora sendmail.mc file is
prepared for this too. You only have to create a self-signed certificate
with OpenSSL and let Sendmail know about it.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 05:25:06 up 4 days, 14:31, load average: 0.42, 0.41, 0.30