Just added a second Hard Drive

Gregor Tudan G.Tudan at gmx.de
Sat Jul 31 09:07:49 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 31.07.2004 schrieb Timothy Payne um 7:25:
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 21:15, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> > Well, I just installed my other 80gb hard drive in as slave rather than
> > trying to setup a RAID array right now. I am trying to decide what to do
> > with it. I am thinking that I could have Windows on one drive and Linux
> > on the other, but that would force me to reinstall one of them, and I
> > would prefer not to. Is it better to have the OS' on seperate drives or
> > the primary drive?  <snip>
>
> I like to have one OS per drive, since Windows like a bad child can't
> play well with others it's nice to be able to just unplug the ribbon to
> the drive when things go wrong.  Grub didn't set up my win98 drive well
> but I found a fix.  I got FC2 going with one drive in, then added the
> win drive as a slave.

Why reinstall? Just copy one partition to the other drive and
reconfigure grub. I prefer Ranish Partition Manager (www.ranish.com,
freeware) for the job but you could also do it with Linux.
I assume you would have to create a partition of exactly the same size
and then do a "dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1" in order to copy your the
first drive to your second hard disk. But I really recomend you use
Ranish for the job!
|Gregor Tudan		|			|
|Am Schingelaich 15	|Email:	G.Tudan at gmx.de	|
|99100 Döllstädt	|Mobil:	0179/2776903	|