printer problems

Price Technology pricetech at charter.net
Sat Jul 31 17:23:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:17:49 -0400, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:46:42AM -0400, Richard Schmitt wrote:
>> Switching to Fedora Core 2 seemed reasonably smooth. But now I am unable
>> to connect to an HP LaserjetIIIP via the smb network. The printer runs
>> on another Windows machine in the network. The network works. In fact,
>> if I try to print on the Laserjet, the machine receives the message and
>> runs two pieces of paper through but there is no printing on it.
>>
>> The Laserjet seems to be connected and communicating with the Fedora
>> machine, but the files to be printed somehow do not make it to the
>> printer,

Not professing to be an expert but;
If Fedora and the Printer seem to "see each other" and the printer is
spitting out "something" then my guess would be a driver/configuration
problem on the Fedora box.  I'd double check settings and see if
something's amis there.

As to Fred's response:
> Not me, but I have had a lot of problems getting CUPS/Samba configured
> so that I can print from linux to windoze and also the other direction.
> I spent hours perusing the samba documentation, I urge you to do the
> same. I'm not (at the moment) running Fedora, but on my Tao linux box
> the samba docs can be found in /usr/share/doc/samba*4/docs, where there
> are several PDF files. also in a subdir are all the html files. There is
> a LOT of documentation there, so if you're willing to slog thru it you
> may find the info you need.
>
> good luck!
>
> Fred

I see a lot of "printing from Linux to winders boxes" issues on the list
and it seems to be a chronic problem.  May I suggest an alternative ??

I have a Netgear PS110 Print Server that I use in my network and no longer
attach printers to the machine.  It works great in the winders environment
and setting it up in Linux has been a no brainer since RedHat 7.0.

I know there are those who will insist that I'm avoiding the problem
rather than solving it but hey, if it works.....

Joebewan

PS. Fred, I like your signature.