system clock is too slow

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 31 23:15:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:03:05PM -0400, Gang Qin wrote:
> Bob Chiodini wrote:
> >On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:43, Gang Qin wrote:
> >
> >>The problem is there is no problem if the system is power-off.

> >>It is a hp pavilion ze4400 (or compaq presario 2100)  with Mobile
> >>Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz,  inner QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-241,
> >>inner ATA DISK drive 5400 40G
> I tried booting with "acpi=no" and there is no time loss. However, the
> flash of the latest BIOS does not help. Also a plain linux kernel (2.6)
> from kernel.org with acpi does not have time loss problem, and the 'cat
> /proc/interrupt' gives 'ERR 0'. Thanks.

Sounds like the acpi code in RH is not as good in this
specific regard as  kernel.org

compare version tags for acpi code for both kernels in
  /usr/src/linux-2.6.*/include/acpi/
  /usr/src/linux-2.6.*/arch/i386/kernel/acpi
  (use locate acpi to find the ones I missed).

"acpi" is new enough that there has been a lot of learning associated
with it by BIOS and OS folks alike.  If you are loosing 30 min in and
hour then half the clocks tick interrupts are being lost or some other
screw up.

If the  plain linux kernel contains 'newer' acpi code and that
code fixes your problem you might file a bugzilla requesting
that it be pulled  into FC2.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	/dev/dull where insight begins.