System Hangs on SMB Shares

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Tue Jun 1 12:20:12 UTC 2004

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun
Microsystems wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My FC2 system allows me to mount SMB shares entered in /etc/fstab/ just
> fine. But whenever I try to access them in the Nautilus file manager, my
> entire file system hangs and becomes unreachable. I can still use apps
> such as terminal and Mozilla, but to get file management back I need to
> reboot my system.
>
> Is this a known problem?
>
> Regards,

How are you mounting the shares? Via the command:

mount //host/share /mnt/samba -o username=whatever

I presume? If I understand correctly, smbfs doesn't work correctly in
the released kernel. I believe you should mount it with type cifs such as:

mount -t cifs //host/share /mnt/samba -o username=whatever

You could also check out the mount.cifs command via "man mount.cifs"

dex