Ugly, ugly fonts in X apps after upgrade to FC2 [Was: Re: core 2 test 2 : fonts ]

melgil88 melgil88 at optonline.net
Tue Jun 1 18:51:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 14:25, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> I haven't received any replies to my question. Does this mean that
> others do not have a similar problem or that others do not know of a
> solution?

I've got a problem with gnome-terminal where the fonts are "squashing"
together, particularly "m" and the "@" sign.  I figured it was just my
videocard or something. I did the Google thing and only came up with a
post from 2002 with the same squashed font complaint.  The fix was
"we're working on it, next release it'll be fixed."

I figure they've had enough time to work on it, no? ;)

All the other fonts that came pre-installed had the same problem...some
a little better, most worse :(

I downloaded the microsoft fonts from
http://avi.alkalay.net/software/msfonts/download/
and those seem to work better. I'm using andale mono now and the
squishing is gone.

Mind you, I don't use emacs and xterm looked fine to me, but maybe the
problem is related in some way.